Ok, is everybody ready for step two in the Charm Pack Quilt Along?
Did you miss step one? No problem. You can join in at any time! Click HERE for all the steps. :)
Want to print the instructions for step one in PDF? Click HERE to download.
Want to print the instructions for step two in PDF? Click HERE to download.
Alright...here we go :)
For this next step we need to make our Four-Patches. We need a total of 75 as we will have 25 blocks and each block needs 3 Four-Patches.
I am going to show you two ways to do this. You only need to do ONE. I recommend you try each method and choose the one that works best for you. Meaning, the one that gets you 4 1/2" square Four-Patches. :)
1. If you haven't already, you will need to cut 38 - 5" squares out of your solid, or you can use charms from a solid charm pack too.
2. Choose 38 charms in the print.
3. On the WRONG side of each of your solid charm, you will need to draw a vertical line in the center, or at 2 1/2" in from the side.
4. Place the solid square RIGHT sides together with a printed charm. Sew 1/4" on each side of the line you just drew.
5. Cut on the drawn line.
6. Press to the dark fabric. You should have two pieces for each charm.
8. On the WRONG side of one of the pieces, draw a line down the center, at 2 1/2".
1. If you haven't already, you will need to cut 38 - 5" squares out of your solid, or you can use charms from a solid charm pack too.2. Choose 38 charms in the print.
3. Cut each print AND each solid in half. (2 1/2" from edge)
**NOTE: I didn't take a photo of the solids cut in half, but you will need to cut each of the 38 solids in half as well.**
4. Pair one print with one solid and sew them together with a 1/4" seam. Press to the print.
5. Now you will need to cut each of these in half. Again, 2 1/2" from the edge.
6. Next, pair them up so that each piece has a different print.
7. Sew them RIGHT sides together, making sure the print is on top of the white or vice versa. Sew with a 1/4" seam. Press to one side.
8. Voila. Two Four-Patches.
9. Repeat with all 38 charms and prints to yield 75 Four-Patches.
Each of your Four-Patches should measure 4 1/2", just like your half square triangles. Before you start chain piecing (if you use that method) please do a test one first, to ensure they do not turn out smaller than 4 1/2". If they are a tad larger, you can always trim them down, but you can't make them bigger. :)
This step will not take as long as the last one as there are fewer charms to work with and hopefully no trimming. Yayyyy!!! :D
I will still give everyone two weeks to complete this step, and perhaps catch up on the last step so I will post Step 3 on August 15th!
As always, if you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments (just leave your email address so I can respond back to you) or you can email me HERE.
I hope everyone is enjoying this quilt along. I'm really excited to see so much interest and I can't wait to see everyone's quilt come together!
Feel free to add photos of your progress to the Flickr Pool too. :)
Enjoy your day and Happy Quilting!